With the launch of the new Cat MineStar System, Caterpillar is looking to build upon its existing mining technologies and to add new capabilities to create a comprehensive mine operations and equipment management system. The system is configurable and scalable with a view to enabling mine managers to define the size and scope that best serves their individual needs.
The system consists of a number of capability sets?now including Fleet, Terrain, Detect, Health and Command. The capability sets are fully integrated so that information is shared across the system and is used to optimise productivity, enhance safety and improve machine utilisation and uptime. The system also puts actionable information in the hands of managers to enable them to make fact-based decisions.
Included in the new capabilities that have been incorporated into the system, are autonomous, semi-autonomous and remote control equipment systems, as well as proximity awareness.
The fusion of these technologies has been designed to create a system that can provide the big picture at a glance while enabling a manager to drill down to the individual asset level as required. Sharing data across the capability sets gives the Cat MineStar system greater flexibility as well as broad and deep capabilities.
Cat MineStar System capability sets
The system comprises five capability sets:
1. Fleet provides real time machine tracking, scheduling, assignment and productivity management. Fleet can enhance management of grading, loading, hauling and auxiliary equipment operations and can provide an overview of production to key decision makers and managers.
2. Terrain enables high precision management of drilling, dragline, grading and loading operations through the use of guidance technology. It increases machine productivity and provides real time feedback to operators for improved efficiency. Terrain allows mines to make management information available across their mining operations, aiding in everything from drill planning and blasting to ore control and site planning.
3. Detect helps increase operator awareness for enhanced safety. It includes a number of sensing and reporting systems designed to assist the operator in avoiding collisions. Such systems include proximity awareness of fixed and mobile equipment as well as detection of smaller objects. Detect is designed for a wide range of equipment, including both Cat – and other brands? – off-highway trucks, Cat track-type tractors, Cat wheel loaders, Cat motor graders, Cat wheel dozers, shovels and light-duty vehicles.
4. Health provides comprehensive equipment health and asset monitoring capabilities, and it delivers critical event-based machine condition and operating data for the mining fleet. Health offers a wide range of diagnostic, analytic and reporting tools. Health works with virtually all mine site equipment assets, including equipment from other manufacturers.
5. Command includes remote control, semi-autonomous and autonomous systems for both surface and underground mobile mining equipment. Command is available or will be available soon on select blast hole drills, Cat underground load haul dump machines, off-highway trucks and track-type tractors.
Caterpillar designed the new Cat MineStar system to be usable for work at large or small mines, surface or underground.
Source: Caterpillar USA