Search Stories by: 
&/or
 

News, Industry News



Holcim's proposed Innes Park quarry has been rejected after being called-in.
Holcim's proposed Innes Park quarry has been rejected after being called-in.
 










State government rejects new quarry proposal

A major industry company has expressed disappointment with a state government’s decision to turn down a quarry proposal that was designed to replace an existing quarry site.

Queensland Deputy Premier and Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning Jeff Seeney “called in” the development application for Holcim’s proposed Innes Park quarry in May this year after it was initially submitted to the Bundaberg Regional Council in December 2012.

Despite having approved two other called-in quarry projects earlier this year, Seeney decided that on this occasion, the quarry would not be allowed to proceed.

“After careful consideration, I have made the commonsense decision that a new quarry is not compatible in an area that is best suited in the longer-term for residential development,” he said.

Seeney explained that there was a greater need for new, affordable housing to accommodate the Bundaberg region’s expanding population, adding that space would be required for infrastructure to support further development between Innes Park and Bargara.

“While it may have been conceivable 30 or 40 years ago to approve a quarry at this site, that isn’t the case today,” he said.

Holcim executive general manager of aggregates Bruce Nicholson said the decision was especially disappointing given that work had already been completed to ensure the Innes Park quarry site would meet the community’s needs over the next 15 years.

The quarry had been proposed to meet aggregate demand ahead of the planned closure of the company’s existing Bargara quarry, which has been supplying the region since the 1960s.

“We have been operating in this region for over 50 years, during which time we have helped to build many of the region’s roads, houses, buildings, infrastructure and other community projects,” Nicholson said.

He added that Holcim would now be focusing on working with its staff and customers in preparation for the Bargara quarry’s closure at the end of the year.

More reading
Holcim proposal to be reviewed by state government
State to review key development applications
Holcim holds on for new projects
Minister grants go-aheads to quarries
 



















Tuesday, 20 February, 2018 07:18am
login to my account
Username: Password:
Free Sign Up

Receive FREE newsletter and alerts


CONNECT WITH US
standard_0317
advertisement
standardlarge_0118
advertisement
standardlarge_0218
advertisement