Search Stories by: 
&/or
 

News, Industry News, Regulation News



Queensland Deputy Premier Seeney has called in the Holcim quarry application due to the complexity of the proposed development.
Queensland Deputy Premier Seeney has called in the Holcim quarry application due to the complexity of the proposed development.
 











Holcim proposal to be reviewed by state government

The future of a Holcim quarry proposal will now be decided by state government after it was recently “called in”.
Queensland Deputy Premier and Minster for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning Jeff Seeney has called in the development application for the proposed Holcim quarry at Innes Park, near Bundaberg. 

Bundaberg Regional Council received the development application in December 2012 and a change to the application was lodged in March last year. Normally, the application would have been decided by the council but under the Sustainable Planning Act 2009, Seeney is able to call in projects that are regarded as being of state interest. The decision now lies solely with Seeney, and once made, will not be subject to appeal.

“Given the complexity of Holcim’s proposed quarry, my department will engage a number of specialist consultants to assist in the assessment of the application,” Seeney said. “These specialists will look at matters such as air quality, noise, traffic, stormwater and groundwater, planning and geotechnical conditions.”

As part of the call-in, Seeney will now undertake an assessment of the Holcim quarry development application against the relevant planning instruments. 

Holcim aggregates Central Queensland manager Brian Douglas welcomed the State Government’s decision, saying it acknowledged the importance of the extractive resources industry to the greater Bundaberg region. 

“For a number of years we have worked closely with key local stakeholders such as community members and council. We look forward to continue engaging with them together with supplying vital construction materials to the region,” Douglas added.

Second call-in
This is Seeney’s second call-in in the Bundaberg area after he reviewed a development application lodged by property developer AustCorp for a proposed 130-hectare site at Bundaberg’s Coral Cove in March this year. The development, which would have comprised 775 traditional residential lots and four integrated housing sites, lay partially within the “separation area” of a Key Resource Area in which the proposed Holcim quarry would have been located.

Commenting on both call-ins, Seeney said, “Both of these proposed developments are important to the Bundaberg community and require consideration.”

Two other call-ins in 2013 by Seeney have resulted in positive outcomes for the quarry industry, with both the Barro Group expansion at Mount Cotton Quarry and Boral’s new Gold Coast Quarry at Reedy Creek approved in January this year. 

The decision on whether or not the Holcim quarry will join these successful applications is scheduled for July 2014.

Source: Queensland Government, NewsMail, ABC News



















Thursday, 16 August, 2018 07:08am
login to my account
Username: Password:
Free Sign Up

Receive FREE newsletter and alerts


CONNECT WITH US
Display ad Delux
advertisement
Display ad standard
advertisement
Display ad Delux
advertisement